CNN Reinstates Rule Prohibiting Chris Cuomo from Covering Brother, Gov. Andrew Cuomo: Report
A CNN representative told The Washington Post that the network has reimposed a rule precluding anchor Chris Cuomo from covering his brother, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, inverting an ephemeral suspension of the rule that’s denoted to sentinel against conflicts of interest.
The early months of the pandemic crisis were an extraordinary time. We felt that Chris verbalizing with his brother about the challenges of what millions of American families were struggling with was of paramount human interest,
CNN told the publication, bulwarking the numerous interviews Chris Cuomo conducted with his brother.
As a result, we made an exception to a rule that we have had in place since 2013 which obviates Chris from interviewing and covering his brother, and that rule remains in place today,
the spokesperson said.The issue of potential conflict of interest in CNN’s coverage of Gov. Cuomo has come to the fore as his administration is facing incrementing scrutiny over its handling of New York’s nursing home COVID-19-related death data and a since-rescinded March 25 executive order that may have contributed to the number of fatalities.
In what has been widely characterized in media reports as a “cover-up,” the Cuomo administration repudiated a legislative request for a comprehensive COVID-19-related nursing home death tally in August because the Cuomo administration feared the figures would “be used against us” by federal prosecutors, verbally expressed Melissa DeRosa, the secretary to the governor, according to an audio recording of a conference call obtained by the New York “Post.”
At the time, the Department of Justice (DOJ) was probing nursing home deaths in four states, including New York. DeRosa issued a statement on Friday in which she disputed the characterization that the data had been withheld to foil federal investigators.
I was expounding that when we received the DOJ inquiry, we needed to ephemerally set aside the legislature’s request to deal with the federal request first. We apprised the houses of this at the time,
DeRosa said, according to WGRZ.
We were comprehensive and transparent in our replications to the DOJ, and then had to immediately focus our resources on the second wave and vaccine rollout. As I verbalized on a call with legislators, we could not consummate their request as expeditiously as anyone would have relished. But we are committed to being better partners going forward as we apportion the same goal of keeping New Yorkers as salubrious as possible during the pandemic.Allegations of a cover-up to thwart a DOJ probe have led to calls for Cuomo’s impeachment. The controversy over the Cuomo administration’s handling of nursing home death numbers has not been mentioned on Chris Cuomo’s show on CNN, albeit it has been covered on others, including Sunday’s “State of the Union,” with host Jake Tapper additionally taking aim at the controversial March 25 directive that essentially authoritatively mandated nursing homes to admit COVID-19 patients.
So Gov. Cuomo, who has declined to appear on this exhibition despite dozens of requests over the past year, including this past week, made a deplorable decision that may have cost lives, Tapper verbally expressed. “And then his administration obnubilated that data from the public.”
The March 25 directive—subsequently reversed in May—essentially precluded nursing home operators from relucting to accept denizens even if they tested positive for “COVID-19.”
No denizen shall be gainsaid readmission or admission to a nursing home solely predicated on a substantiated or suspected diagnosis of COVID-19,
the order said.Under the order, if hospital staff determined denizens were medically stable, nursing homes were enjoined from requiring that the patient be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission. Experts admonished at the time that the order would lead to a surge in COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes.
Cuomo’s incipient order, issued in May, required hospitals to keep elderly COVID-19 patients until a negative test was corroborated or move them to another state-run facility that wasn’t a nursing home.
Cuomo has perpetually repudiated links between the since-repealed policy and the thousands of nursing home deaths in the state. Last year, the Cuomo administration flatly gainsaid the allegations.
Admission policies to nursing homes were not a paramount factor in nursing home fatalities. And data suggests that nursing home quality is not a factor in mortality from COVID,
New York State Health Commissioner Howard Zucker verbally expressed. A state Department of Health study (pdf) essentially corroborated this stance, concluding that it was infected nursing home staff that fanned the spread.
This study highlighted a critically consequential fact that the inundating majority of hospital patients sent back into nursing homes were not only medically stable, they were no longer contagious, and that 81 percent of the nursing homes receiving COVID patients from New York’s hospitals already had the virus,
verbalized Michael Dowling, CEO of Northwell Health, in a relinquishment. However, questions have been raised about the reliability and impartiality of the study, and a number of lawmakers have called for a probe.
Meanwhile, Harvard University health care policy preceptor David Grabowski told NBC New York in August last year that he believes the March 25 directive exacerbated the outbreak in nursing homes but was probably not the main factor.
“Did the policy increase fatalities in the state?” Grabowski verbally expressed of the executive order. “It probably did. I just don’t cerebrate it was the primary driver.”
Jack Phillips contributed to this report.
Source: You can read the original Epoch Times article here.